LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:41:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  (ADVTSG) New demo version of LangLab available for downloading
>Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:31:55 -0700

------------------
E-LangLab, LLC is pleased to announce that a demo version of our new release
1.3 of our LangLab software product is now available for downloading from
www.elanglab.com. The demo version has a limited lifespan but contains
complete functionality of the product. For those of you not familiar with
LangLab, our software gives you an attractive combination of authoring
tools, listen-and-record functionality for students, real-time monitoring,
and the ability to insert targeted feedback at precise spots in students'
recordings, all for a price that is a fraction of what major competitors
charge.

Our new version has certain enhancements of functionality as well as a new
user interface. The screen shots on our site have been updated to reflect
it. (If your browser initially retrieves a cached old version of our main
Web page showing the previous user interface, simply click on "Refresh.") If
you installed a previous version , you may wish to remove it, then install
the new one. The ReadMe covers .mp3 files and copying them to the proper
folders, should you wish to use .mp3 files. If you have already done so for
a previous version, the files will remain in these folders, and you don't
have to copy them again. The Release Notes highlight changes from the
previous version; they are accessible from the download page, even before
you actually download the new version. (There are a couple of additional
minor changes not mentioned, but they don't require explanation.)

As our site and our Release Notes indicate, because we have allowed LangLab
to use more of the computer's memory to accommodate longer sound files (in
response to a user request), your computer should have at least 128 MB of
RAM to run the new version. (Any modern machine will have at least this
much.)

A special RemoteClient version of LangLab's Client module is undergoing
testing, and we'll make that, too, available on the site shortly. (It makes
remote use via slow Internet connections more tolerable, since users are not
forced to sit in front of the computer during downloading and uploading of
files.)

As our site indicates, despite our almost daily appeals to Apple, the bugs
in Apple's version of Java that are still keeping the listen-and-record
function of our OS X version from working remain (unless Apple has fixed the
lack of simultaneous sound output and input in a new developer release
without telling us) and we have managed to learn only that the problem has
been "escalated" at Apple. I encourage all those interested in a
fully-functional Mac version of LangLab to ask your Apple representatives
when these bugs in its Java will be fixed. The broader the demand worldwide,
the sooner Apple will see fit to address the problem. Once Apple does so,
we'll immediately release our OS X version.

We hope that you enjoy trying our new demo version of LangLab, and we look
forward to receiving your comments and suggestions for further enhancements.

     Regards,

     Richard Laden
Dr. Richard A. Laden
E-LangLab, LLC