LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:15:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Andrea Curry <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:11:31 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7269 Mac vs. Windows
>From: Andrea Curry <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
In order to get the machines uniform in terms of updates to Windows,
you need to run Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com).  As for
having all the machines exactly uniform in terms of programs, there are
imaging/ghosting programs you can run to "reset" the machines to a
certain image.  Do not forget that if you do this, you will lose your
security updates as well as any other changes that have been made!

I hope you're on Windows XP... you don't want a system like 98 out
there in front of students.  I've seen that before in other labs on my
campus, and it's a pretty scary sight -- computer games, spyware, and
all other kinds of shady software installed by none other than the
students themselves.

If the computers are crashing because you're running the same thing on
all machines, your network may be to blame.  Make sure you're on a
100Mbps network before even attempting such a bandwidth-consuming
thing. :)  You may need to update your networking equipment and cabling.

I hope I understood your message correctly, and that I am of some help.

Andrea Allen, SMU