LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:15:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:15:10 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7269 Mac vs. Windows

------------------
Dear Betty & LLTI;

Ask the Tandberg people to show you the new Elice system. While it was
originally designed for high schools, it is making its way into higher
education as well. Now that they've added a library listening feature,
Elice handles most things that we do in our current cassette-based lab.

Elice is an audio-only system, but (if we buy it!) we plan to use networked
computers and our own servers for multimedia. (Elice supports external
sound & microphone sources, so the sound out and mike in from the
headphones would work with Elice, Mac or PC.) The teacher station runs on
Windows, but all of the student stations are virtual recorders that run off
of the teacher's machine. That way, you only have to get one Windows system
up and running properly in order to conduct class. The main unit stores up
to 120 hours of audio in .wav format. Student recordings can be saved as
MP3 and stored on the teacher's computer, forwarded to the instructor, or
burned onto CD.

The cost is also reasonable - about $35,000 for a 20 student lab (without
furniture).

Best,
Karl

Karl W. Fisher