LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:15:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc:  "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "Tony Sulprizio (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>,        "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Accessible Lectern
>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:28:20 -0400

------------------
Hi All,
I am wondering if any schools in the greater Boston area have classrooms
that have multimedia lecterns (i.e., lecterns which allow access to
multimedia content sources through switchers or Crestron touch panels)that
are specifically designed for instructors with accessibility issues.
We have been trying to adapt one of our multimedia classrooms with a new
wheelchair accessible lectern that houses the content sources (including VGA
sources such as computer and doc camera)as well as the controls, but all our
efforts make for a lectern that is much too big to be practical.
This needn't be technically ADA compliant, because sometimes the
pre-existing room doesn't allow for it, but should be a creative way of
dealing with the challenge of providing access. (We have dealt extensively
with such vendors as Marshall, but can't find anything in this case.)

We'd like to visit local schools that may have such lecterns.
Cheers,
Ed

Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center    Ph: 617-627-3036
Tufts University                   [log in to unmask]
Medford, MA 02155            http://ase.tufts.edu/lmc