LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:19:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:27:54 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7256.2 Windows XP not getting QuickTime Streams (!)

------------------

Hi Dan,

I'm happy to see that you're using the non-proprietary MPEG4 standard.
However, the price of early adoption is having to spend a little time on
configuration. In short I think your code is fine and your problem is
client-side, especially since it works in your lab, but other users on
campus are having difficulty.

The various media players (Quicktime, Real, WMP) will compete for user
preference as the default application, even more fiercely than browsers
do.  I recommend selecting one player to support, and configure the
clients to always play consistently. You will need to launch each media
player app installed on a computer and tell it _not_ to handle rtsp and
mpeg, with the obvious exception of the player you want to run by default.
The values to change are file associations or MIME types.

you are welcome to check out a (somewhat hasty and in need of revision)
config how-to that I wrote up for my campus:
http://www.colby.edu/lrc/help/mpeg4.html (although this write-up is
lacking in windows specifics, the config details are similar and can be
extrapolated).

Any addenda you would like to add to this help file based on your own
experience is very welcome.

A few quick mpeg4 notes:

* Quicktime requires version 6 (runs on Mac OS8.6 and higher, win98 or
higher), if that's the client you want to use.

* RealOne (no previous version of Real can handle .mp4, runs on OSX ,
win??)  requires the (free) Envivio plugin (www.envivio.com), and I'm not
sure, but WMP might need the plugin too.

* Even after the envivio plugin, when you actually stream a file, RealOne
produces a warning popup that says something like "unsupported file type",
ignore this, continue, and the media plays just fine.

Which brings me to my final point:

* Real Player bites, imho. The installation is almost viral in its
behavior, the medium is proprietary, and I can't think of one good reason
to use it (other than the fact that some content providers still do).

In the internal rock-scissors-paper game that transpires inside a computer
that has all three players installed, Real player trumps the others
(somehow) and yet will refuse to play MPEG-4 unless you have the envivio
plugin -- until you tell it not to run, and let another (better) client
handle rtsp and mpeg.

I would go with Quicktime player as default, though I have heard some
promising reports about the latest iteration of WMP too.

</rambling diatribe>

caveat:
Another potential solution: use server hints. Save your .mp4 as a "hinted
movie" which will give it a .mov extension, and that might solve the
problem, depending on what kind of streaming server you're using.

I hope this information is helpful.

Zach

Zachary Chandler
Language Technology Consultant