LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:19:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:49:48 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7256.1 Windows XP not getting QuickTime Streams  (!)
>From: "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello Everyone! Thanks for your supportive suggestions and advice, and
also thanks to the help from the folks over at MacFixIt.com. I believe
that we have solved our problem with streaming quicktime to Windows XP
users.

This problem was happening on all browsers and the QT player itself,
regardless of version. The streaming server is on a server that is also
serving web pages, so our streaming server is set to port 554 instead
of port 80. What the problem was is that Windows XP has a built-in
Firewall that prevented QuickTime streaming data packets from being
delivered to the client.

To solve this problem, we wrote up a "help quide" and quickly posted it
to our web sites. If you are interested in
reading the solution, go to:

http://montgomery.cas.muohio.edu/help/Software/WinXP-Firewall/index.html

This will give you step by step instructions, should this problem ever
surface at your end.

Thanks again! Dan.

Daniel E. Meyers - Director of the Interactive Language Resource Center
47 Irvin Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056-1848
Office: (513) 529-2510  -  Lab: (513) 529-4505  -  Fax: (513) 529-1807
WWW: http:/montgomery.cas.muohio.edu/ilrc/