LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:14:52 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:18:37 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7242 the fate of those tapes once you've gone digital

------------------
We also skipped the CD stage, so to speak, and students here have the
choice between taped copies and the streaming audio on the web (set up
similarly to yours, I think). Since we still have our tape duplicators I
get permission to copy tapes for students as well as permission to
duplicate. We only give out  a very few tapes now but they are still
useful for some situations.
It helps that we have a lab where students can come to listen to the
online audio if their home computers do not have good "reception." But
if they want the CDs I guess they can buy them from the publishers....
(and because CDs are so easy & cheap to copy and  bundle, unlike tapes,
some courses do have the students order the CDs as a set, with the
online audio there only as a backup).

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida