LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:14:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Tandberg proprietary network
>Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:52:48

Dear colleagues,
Our Tandberg/Divace Duo language lab consists of PC's and two servers running
Windows 98. We need suggestions for reconciling network security with the
requirements of the lab software and for preventing crashes.

The 21 PC's are connected to a local proprietary network for the server
running Tandberg's ICM software and ClassNet.  The entire lab is also connected
to a second network for log on, Internet access and drive mappings to file
servers on the campus network.  The campus network connection also affords
access to a server running Rosetta Stone.

For security reasons, all lab users including teachers working at the server
machines must log in and out using their campus domain usernames and passwords.
 This creates a communication problem between the student stations and
the teacher machine, which is the ICM server.  When a teacher or student
user logs out, the ICM and/or Divace software is automatically closed.
 When it is subsequently reopened by later users, the ICM server can no
longer reach out to the student stations.  For example, it is not possible
to launch Divace Duo or to shut down the student machines from the ICM.
 When Divace Duo is open, error messages sometimes appear on the student
machines warning of communication problems with the ICM, and student work
is sometimes lost.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Secondly, our lab and its Tangent computers are four years old and have
unfortunately been plagued since opening with technical problems which
severely limit its use.  The most common problem is machines freezing and
crashing.  Up to one third of the lab crashes each day, a problem which
persists even though the student stations were just reimaged.  The crashes
occur about equally on start up, on shut down and while running during
the day.  Our IT department believes that the problem is somehow caused
by the nature of the proprietary network installed by Tandberg, or by its
interaction with the campus network.  Has someone experienced problems
of very frequent crashes who could suggest some steps to troubleshoot?
 Thank you.

Julia Tebbets
French Teacher
Sewickley Academy