LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:07:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Gary Hickling <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:27:54 -1000
>Subject: LyricLanguages
>From: Gary Hickling <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Friends,

This is a first posting for me. And to keep within the framework suggested
by the moderator, I'll ask only one question.

First, background: The Lehmann Foundation, of which I'm president, has as
one of its missions the broader appreciation of art song. We have developed
LyricLanguages to bring art song, its poetry and supporting visuals into the
foreign language lab as CD-ROMs that could be downloaded from our website.
You can see one example now at:
http://lottelehmann.org/lehmann/presentation/

My question: how can this project (obviously developed for Spanish and
German, as well as French) be best integrated into the foreign language
teacher's curriculum? We would expect to produce songs for various levels of
instruction and, in further connection with teachers, use the kinds of
images that are most useful. Also, we would expect the teachers to say what
kinds of interactivity work best etc.

But it all comes down in the end to the same question. As I understand it,
teachers work from text books which have their own lab CD-ROMs. Without
going through a re-write of text books etc., how can the foreign language
teacher best use LyricLanguages?

Many thanks for your patience,

Yours,

Gary Hickling

P.S. For those not familiar with the term art song, it is simply "poetry set
to music by a classical composer for unamplified voice and (usually) piano."
A common example is Schubert's Ave Maria. Our website offers more
information on art song, which is also called "Lied" in German, "mélodie" in
French, "canciones classicas" in Spanish etc. www.lottelehmann.org