LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:38:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: the fate of those tapes once you've gone digital
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:33:36 -0400

Hi everyone,

Like everyone else, we've gone digital as much as possible with our
instructional audio materials. (We do have some audio cassettes left in
some of the languages where the departments haven't decided to purchase
licenses for digital distribution).

In our case, digital distribution means that we provide access to the
materials via password-protected, Web-based course management system
sites. Our streaming server is set up to distribute the media but not
download it, so students and faculty don't actually get copies of the
media files, just access. This is troubling to some people who want to
actually get their hands on something tangible like a cassette or a CD.

So my question is - what you have you all done about this? Do you make CD
copies of the digital files? Have you kept audiocassette copies around for
those determined few who for one reason or another don't want to use the
digital media? Have you said - sorry folks, it's only on the Web and
tossed your tape libraries?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Samantha

Samantha Earp, Director