LLTI Archives

August 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:44:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Samantha Earp" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Samantha Earp" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 2 full-time temporary positions, Duke University Foreign Language Technology Services
>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:14:27 -0400

------------------
Dear colleagues,

Duke University Foreign Language Technology Services has two full-time,
TEMPORARY Instructional Technology Lab Coordinator positions open (no
benefits). These positions are to provide staffing in our language labs
while a search is being conducted for two permanent positions.

For those of you who may be wondering, the search announcement for the
permanent positions should appear in early to mid-September; the job
description is very similar to the one listed below.

--------------------
Foreign Language Technology Services, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
Position title: Instructional Technology Lab Coordinator

GENERAL INFORMATION
? Two to four month, temporary full-time (40 hours/week) position (no
benefits). Actual duration of temporary position dependent on results of
search for permanent position.
? Start date: Immediately

POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
? Manages daily operations of assigned language lab facility, including
supervision of student employees, maintenance of schedules, resource
inventories and personnel records in print & electronic formats,
circulation of equipment and resources and triage of help requests.
? Provides extensive assistance with educational, productivity, multimedia
and language lab software and Web applications used in the teaching and
learning of foreign languages at Duke.
? Teaches technology orientations, class sessions and workshops.
? Develops and maintains multimedia-rich documentation and training
curricula and other publications for print, Web and other media, according
to established guidelines.
? Participates in instructional technology project support and events,
including project management, production of multimedia materials &
coordination with clients.
? Composes reports and summaries according to established guidelines.
? Attends regular staff and project meetings. Provides regular updates to
supervisor and FLTS colleagues.
? Completes other administrative and program development tasks as assigned
by supervisor.

EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
? Bachelors degree; Masters degree in Foreign Language Education,
Library/Information Science, Instructional Technology or related discipline
desirable.
? At least two years full-time work experience.
? Prior work experience in classroom teaching, help desk, library public
service area or educational computing setting strongly preferred.
? Prior experience in a multilingual computing environment strongly
preferred.

SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
? Excellent organizational, instructional, communication and interpersonal
skills.
? Ability to provide assistance to diverse clientele and student staff with
different levels of technical expertise.
? Native- or near-native English language proficiency. Proficiency in a
second language is highly desired.
? Proficiency in standard Web development & editing tools such as
Dreamweaver, Acrobat, Visio, etc.
? Ability to teach and write about technical subjects clearly and
concisely.
? Proficiency in Windows and Macintosh operating systems & productivity
tools.
? Proficiency in digital image, audio & video applications strongly
preferred.
? Ability to work independently and meet established deadlines.
? Commitment to regular communication with supervisor and FLTS colleagues.

APPLICATION PROCESS

For full consideration, please send a cover letter outlining experience
relevant to the position, a detailed resume and the names, mailing and
e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of three references to the contact
information listed below (e-mail is preferred). Also include URLs and/or
written samples of work demonstrating ability to carry out duties listed in
job description above.

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Samantha Earp
Director, Foreign Language Technology Services
Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
Box 90198
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708