LLTI Archives

August 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:14:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:43:45 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7215 Mic/Headsets - Again
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Just a note about the Koss headsets. We purchased about 40 of the SB-30
model a few years back and did not have great luck with them. We never
used the mic because the mic-level input was insufficient for recording
on our iMacs (we used the built-in mic on the iMacs until switching to
Plantronics USB headsets). But I knew that before buying them. What we
didn't like was that they weren't suitably durable for a lab. Many of
the ear pieces (not just the padding) broke off, the wands broke, and
almost all of the very thin wires  to one earpiece or the other became
disconnected internally, so that students only got sound from one side,
which bugged the heck out of them. Within a year most of the units had
more tape wrapped around them than a hockey stick.

I hope the SB-40s are a different breed.

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph              617.353.7957
fx              617.353.6195
lab             http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/