LLTI Archives

July 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:58:58 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:31:59 -0400
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7210 voice recording software for Mac OS X

------------------
Audacity has a nice, simple interface for a wave form editor, but, at
least in OS 9, it's buggy. It drops chunks of sound in longer recordings
and crashes. You also can't use an "R" in the file name as that's the
shortcut for recording and will begin a new track in the middle of a
file save. The export to and import from MP3 is also painfully slow.
Nonetheless, our students use it for certain projects.

CELOP had a simple sound recorder for the Mac written for us years ago
(which doesn't run in X). We actually use it more often than Audacity
for short recordings that don't need to be edited. You can read about
CELOP Recorder and download it and a primer for free from
http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/admin/celop_recorder.html

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957       fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://people.bu.edu/johndesz/