LLTI Archives

July 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:31:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Henny Halliburton <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:26:06 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Henny Halliburton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7196 performance rights for language films

------------------
Barbara,

There are several companies which hold the public performance rights (PPR)
of foreign films.

The ones I've used are:

1. New Yorker Films (www.newyorkerfilms.com)
Contact: Jonathan Howell
(877) 247-6200 - Phone
(212) 645-3232 - Fax

2. Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. (www.swank.com)
Contact: Tiffany Ellis
(800) 876-5577 -  Phone
(314) 289-2192 - Fax

3. Zeitgeist Films (www.zeitgeistfilms.com)
Contact: Clemence Taillandier or Emily Woodburne
(212) 274-1989 - Phone
(212) 274-1644 - Fax

Others:
Kino International (www.kino.com)
First Run Features (www.firstrunfeatures.com)
Lot 47 Films (www.lot47.com)
Wellspring Media (www.wellspring.com)
California Newsreel (www.newsreel.org)

The fee these companies charge, which range mostly from about 150.00-500.00
per film, is to show the movie one time only, and without charging your
audience.

For two years in a row, we have paid for the PPR of several films for an
annual international film festival, held here at the beginning of the
spring semester.  As you'll discover, this can get quite expensive, fast.

Swank prices are more reasonable, and they do own the rights to many
films.  You can call all of them to request a catalog.

Best of luck,
Henny

At 01:53 PM 7/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:17:30 -0400
> >From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
> >Sender: [log in to unmask]
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: performance rights for language films
> >Originator-Info: login-id=psawhill; server=mail.oberlin.edu
>
>Greetings:
>
>Does anyone know of a way to figure out who (or what) has the performance
>rights for specific foreign language films?  This would be the entity that
>one would contact in order to show films (w/o charging admission) in a
>"public" venue like a language house lounge, vs just in a classroom and
>with a professor.
>
>Any assistance any of you can provide would be great.
>
>Barbara
>
>Barbara Sawhill
>Director
>Cooper International Learning Center (The Language Lab)
>Oberlin College
>
>phone: 440-775-8595   fax: 440-775-6888
>
>The Language Lab website: http://www.oberlin.edu/ilc

Henny Halliburton