LLTI Archives

July 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:53:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:31:29 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: OSX unicode character palette

------------------

Hi IALLTers,

This is a follow up to a previous post in which I asked about typing
stress markers in Russian. I figured out a useful tool, and wanted to
share in case it's useful to anyone else (please forgive if this is old
hat for some of you).

In OSX, first go to System Prefs > International > Input Menu and select
Character Palette from the list, adding it to your list of keyboard
options. If you then "Show Character Palette" from the menu bar a floating
window will then launch, and can be used in various other apps. Unicode
compliant apps only. Hence my trouble before with Word v.X - it is
apparently a quick Aqua rollout designed to look nice in OSX with little
else as an improvement. However, the OSX operating system is highly
unicode compliant, which goes for the TextEdit application. Selecting a
special character from the unicode palette and clicking Insert will dump
that character into TextEdit direct (or presumably any other compliant
word app).

I used this in conjuction with a Russian keyboard that wouldn't let me do
OPTION + E for stress. We'll see how the faculty like it.

best,
Zach

Zachary Chandler
Language Technology Consultant