LLTI Archives

July 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:52:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
At 11:03 AM 7/9/03, Ralph Schultz wrote:

>I am in the process of  converting files to a streaming format.  Has
>anyone done this? I was going to use Cleaner5 and convert files to
>MP3 streaming file type. But if someone has thrashed the bush before
>me I would love to learn from your mistakes and advise.

Ralph,

I used Cleaner5 to convert to Real Media (not .MP3, though), and I was
frankly disappointed with the results. I tried different combinations of
settings, even lowering the sound quality to 8 bits mono (sound quality
really impacts file size), and could not bring the size or the image
quality to any reasonable standard.

I'm not sure if they use their own proprietary algorithms, but when I used
the good old Real Player Producer 8 I got dramatically better results.

If that is the case with their .MP3 conversion algorithms, and file size is
an issue, you may want to have a backup plan (i.e., another utility like
AudioGrabber to convert from .wav or CD tracks to MP3)

This said, I cannot say that Cleaner5 is not good enough, I'm just
contributing my own experience with it. Maybe someone else on the list has
a different view.

Roberto Perez