LLTI Archives

July 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:11:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:09:39 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7187 Russian stress markers
>From: "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Zach.

I don't know much about Russian myself, but what we've been doing so
far in OS X is using the Russian Language Kit to get our Russian typed
in. This is how we installed the kit:

1) Boot in Mac OS 9, if you can.
2) Then using an Install disc from OS 9, install the Russian Language
Kit.
3) Reboot into Mac OS X.
4) Go to System Preferences in the Apple Menu, and select International.
5) Go to the Input Menu tab and select your Russian keyboard (we
decided to use Russian instead of Ukrainian).

Then for stresses, we are using the "Q" key for the character that
looks like a backward N with the stress over it, the "|" key for the
character that looks like an "e" with an umlaut over it, "Option-Y" for
the character that looks like a y with a stress over it, and "Option-R"
for the character that looks like a k with a stress accent on it.

I hope that this might help you out a little. You might also want to try
http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/rusmac/

Side note: We have tried to use phonetic keyboards also, but found that
items, especially E-mail messages, get really garbled if the person on
the other side receiving the message doesn't have the exact same
keyboards or fonts installed. So we have just kept with the Russian
language kit keyboards that were installed into Mac OS 9 and X.

Daniel E. Meyers - Director of the Interactive Language Resource Center
47 Irvin Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056-1848
Office: (513) 529-2510  -  Lab: (513) 529-4505  -  Fax: (513) 529-1807
WWW: http:/montgomery.cas.muohio.edu/ilrc/