LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:51:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John DuQuette <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:43:21 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: John DuQuette <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: YABLA, beta testers wanted

Greetings fellow IALLT members,

In recent years, the importance of exposure to native speakers in
culturally authentic contexts has become increasingly apparent but
not much easier to incorporate into language education programs.

By making compelling, authentic video content interactive,
explorable, and multi-modal, Yabla aims to turn culturally relevant
material that would otherwise be inaccessible and of minimal use to
all but the most advanced students into a powerful absorption
experience that significantly enhances retention and aural
comprehension ability.

YABLA PLAYER BETA TEST:
Here is an example the latest Yabla Player (requires only Flash 6).
http://www.yabla.com/iallt_demo.html

Please try this demo and fill out the accompanying questionnaire.

We are preparing to offer an on demand web accessible subscription
service, possibly in collaboration with SCOLA satellite network,
utilizing their supply of worldwide television content, and are most
interested in hearing your interest in such an offering.

YABLA AUTHORING TOOL, THE "YABLA BUILDER" -- Beta Tests Available:

We would like to give you a demonstration of the Yabla Builder,
especially if you are interested in creating your own multilingual
video content in the Yabla format for immersion purposes, be it
traditional courses in this format or clips of native, authentic
content.

screenshots:
http://www.yabla.com/screenshot/builderTool.jpg (demonstrating use of
Japanese characters)
http://www.yabla.com/screenshot/build_ger-eng2.jpg

Please write or call for a demonstration online. If the Player demo
(above) worked for you, you have what it takes to access the Yabla
Builder as well.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope all are having a great
summer. If any of you are coming through Manhattan (currently
basically an island oven!), we'd love to have you stop by.

regards,

John DuQuette
Yabla Inc.
212 226 2370