LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:04:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Robert Fischer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:34:21 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Robert Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: C A L L   F O R   S U B M I S S I O N S

Special Issue of
The CALICO Journal:
The World Wide Web in Non-Roman Script: CALI in Arabic and Hebrew

Editors:
Samer M. Ali, Ph.D., and
Esther L. Raizen, Ph.D.

Publication date:  May 2004
CALICO, the Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium, is a
professional organization that serves a membership involved in both
education and high technology. The CALICO Journal is a peer-reviewed
publication devoted to the dissemination of information concerning
the application of technology to language teaching and language
learning. The Journal invites submissions of articles for a special
issue addressing the distinct challenges of using Arabic and Hebrew
in web-based environments.

A decade of popular use of the World Wide Web has left Hebrew and
Arabic lagging behind in almost every aspect, from the design of
personal web sites to the development of efficient search engines to
the creation of instructional sites and web-based applications
capable of making use of all the advantages that the medium offers.
The two languages are written from right to left, using non-Roman
script and relying heavily on diacritics.  Each one of these
orthographic characteristics is sufficiently complex to challenge web
developers, left to struggle with compatibility issues and platform
independence even within the environment of unicode-aware browsers.
While the development of commercial applications for Arabic and
Hebrew instruction has picked up in recent years, web-based
applications and authoring tools that are cost effective and widely
available, and, as such, lend themselves well to use in the academic
environment, have not been made available to developers of Computer
Assisted Language Instruction (CALI) materials.

In response the reality in this field, the editors of this CALICO
special issue welcome submissions from single authors or
collaborative teams that confront linguistic and/or technological
issues. Articles may treat topics related to assessment of needs, the
difficulties posed for both developers and users of web applications
in Arabic and Hebrew, and advances in the development of e-mail
programs, listervs, distance learning programs, and text-to-speech
tools. This issue will attempt to provide justification for investing
in the development of such materials and their effective use in the
classroom, and call for the adaptation of effectiveness-evaluation
tools of the kind used by languages written in Roman script. We also
hope to provide guidelines for the development of fully accessible
sites in Hebrew and Arabic, and argue for cooperation between
developers across languages. Articles will need to be submitted by
September 30, 2003.

Guidelines for Submission:
Authors are invited to submit articles that  have not previously been
published or accepted for publication elsewhere. Authors can submit
manuscripts on diskette, CD or as an e-mail attachments to the CALICO
editors at the address below. The manuscript should be in either
MS-Word or WordPerfect format (Macintosh or PC). Graphics, pictures,
and screen shots should be included in the manuscript and also sent
as separate files, preferably in .PICT or .EPS format. Authors should
follow the Publication Manual of the American Psychological
Association, 5th ed. (2001).

Manuscripts requirements:
-doubled spaced;

-no more than 30 pages in length (excluding bibliography, tables, notes, etc.);

-a title page stating the name of (each of) the author(s), plus
address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address (of each
author);

-an abstract of no more than 200 words and a keywords list of up to
five salient words describing the content of the article;

-accompanied by a biostatement of (each of) the author(s) not to
exceed 120 words per author.

Please send submissions to either editor:
Samer M. Ali, Ph.D.

or
Esther L. Raizen, Ph.D.

Postal address: