LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:04:10 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:53:56 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7176.3 IALLT Tech Museum (!)

I've gotten several suggestions for what to include, but no pictures!!
Take digital pix and send them along.  I think we can have some fun with
this museum idea.

--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill

>Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:13:27 -0400
>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7176.2 IALLT Tech Museum (!)
>Originator-Info: login-id=psawhill; server=mail.oberlin.edu

This recently was given to our lab by the East Asian Studies
Department:

A Chinese vocabulary "tutor" that consists of boxes and boxes and boxes
of
manila cards with a magnetic strip on each of them that can be run
through
an electronic  reader and, depending upon the speed with which you
fling it
through you can have very fast Chinese sounds or painfully slow and
somewhat montone Chinese sounds.  But the strip is only long enough for
one
or two words...so creating audible sentences with this technology is
an
aerobic activity...cards flying, strips swiping...

Barbara

Barbara Sawhill
Director
Cooper International Learning Center (The Language Lab)
Oberlin College

phone: 440-775-8595   fax: 440-775-6888

The Language Lab website: http://www.oberlin.edu/ilc

"The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know
what
you're doing, someone else does."