LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:35:03 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:04:08 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7142.7 Tracking software (!)

I see that memories are fading.  Purple tells me you were using a Ditto
machine, not a mimeo.  Mimeo was actually black ink that squeezed
through a stencil.  Such stencils are created with a typewriter, but
repaired (mistakes) with a kind a glue-like substance, after which you
retyped.  Mimeos were VERY messy and a real pain to deal with.

Ditto machines were a major improvement.  When you typed, the purple
(or even other colors) material was pressed onto the ditto master...
kind of like a glob of dry ink in the shape of letters that then
transferred to regular paper copies by means of the spirit fluid (that
good smelling stuff!).  Some of us got to be really good with an Exacto
knife to "carve" correct letters from mistakes on the masters.

The only problem was that students could tell if you were
procrastinating... hard to quickly get rid of the spirit smell.

The current generation of techies missed out on real fun (not!)... I
don't mind relegating the "good old days" to a distant memory.

--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:05:31 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7142.6 Tracking software (!)

------------------
Mimeos !!  I remember being proud when I mastered that technology...
and
yes, I loved the smell.  Boy, do we date ourselves.  Shall we have a
special IALLT SIG for those who can remember ....

         Looking forward to seeing you all --

                         Nina

At 08:05 AM 5/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information
> Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: RE: #7142.5 Tracking software (!)
> >Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:21:13 -0400
>
>------------------
>

> > ------------------
> > Hmmm...may we then infer that the Tufts mainframe is commonly
referred
> > to as 'Ed'?
> > ;)bb
>
>Ha!
>The mimeograph machine is more like it!
>I'm still trying to get that purple stencil ink off my hands.
(Remember the
>smell of a freshly run mimeo sheet? Wow - better than an open dry
erase
>marker.) See you next month.
>Ed
>          -"If it works, it's obsolete."
>                              -Marshall McLuhan

> > great!  Wow,

> > > Funny - we do the same thing, but for currently employed
> > assistants - the
> > > greater the seniority, the more sophisticated the equipment
> > we name for
> > > them.
> > > However, that means low-person on the totem pole gets a
> > choice of the Dukane
> > > Film Strip projector or the Wollensak 1500SS (which still
> > works perfectly!)
> > > Ed Dente
> > >               "If it works, it's obsolete."
> > >                                -Marshall McLuhan
> > >
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > Edmund N. Dente
> > > Director, Language Media Center    Ph: 617-627-3036
> > > Tufts University                   [log in to unmask]
> > > Medford, MA 02155            http://ase.tufts.edu/lmc
> > >

> > --
> > Bruno Browning <[log in to unmask]>

Nina Garrett, Director