LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:40:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:33:46 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7164 Satellite services

------------------
Michael Jones asked:

>Essentially we'd have an LRC custom cable system where a student
>could sit down at a station in the lab, go to the proper channel and
>see RAI while someone at a different station is viewing something
>completely different.

We have set up something like this with the Campus Cable system, which has
points of presence in many of the academic buildings (unfortunately few
actual drops in offices and classrooms). You can in princiole access 7
different channels on 7 TVs at the same time, though in fact what we do is
tape the different channels every day. We get DishNetwork, and besides the
basic dish and subscription costs the cable guys are saying it's about $500
to add each new channel. The downside is--no German, and there aren't
authentic commercials etc. that you would get if it was direct from the
country. The good thing--most of the channels have online program guides
etc. so the instructors can plan to tape/watch  a particular program. They
seem to be set up like an American network in some ways--kids' shows in the
morning, adult fare in the evenings.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida