LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:40:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

> ------------------
> Read, no wonder you have such a good memory. People who don't
> have (grey) hair always stay young. As for the mimeo-ditto
> controversy, I liked the mimeo better, because you could get
> better reproduction, although the ditto was a lot more
> convenient and you could write by hand or draw. I still have
> some illustrations I made for songs I used when I was
> teaching elementary school English. Oy vey! The main problem
> with the mimeo (other than if the black stuff got on you, or
> worse yet, on your clothes) was correcting mistakes.  You
> really had to be patient and let the correcting fluid dry
> before you retyped, if you wanted a neat correction. But then
> again, wasn't there some advantage to not being able to
> correct so easily? Maybe we had to think a little more before
> committing our words (or "output", as we would call it now) to paper?
> David Ben-Nahum
> The Hebrew University

Hey, Read, Bruno, Nina, David, et al., I've got an idea for the IALLT web
site.
Why don't we set up a virtual museum on one page, w/ pictures of some of the
technology that we came of age with that were real tools for supporting
learning. I'll start - I've still got two working Wollensak 1500SS units -
now who remembers those guys? These were workhorse open reel player
recorders, otherwise known as "Silver Bullets" among colleagues. They really
made field recording and playing feasible, as long as you had a good length
of extension cord.
Anyone still have some open-reel editing tools around? Bruce? I may have
some too.
I've also got my old Dukane slide-tape projector that the synch never worked
correctly on, and I THINK I still have our old ditto machine kicking around.
Throw in the 1966 IBM Selectric typewriter in our next room and we've got a
good start. We could have our own virtual Smithsonian.

If not, well, there's always e-bay.
Let's discuss it over a pint on the IALLT 03 pub crawl.(subtle PSA for both
the conf and the crawl.)
Cheers,
Ed
Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center    Ph: 617-627-3036
Tufts University                   [log in to unmask]
Medford, MA 02155            http://ase.tufts.edu/lmc
"Hanno ammazzato compare Turiddu!"