LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:40:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Lee Ramsdell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:45:20 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Lee Ramsdell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7164.1 Satellite services (!)

------------------
  One of the major players in the world of satellite communications is a
company called PanAmSat. In April of 2003 I attended NAB and spoke to
Stephen Cadden, Senior Director of North American Video Sales.  I informed
him of a need for educators to have a wide range of television broadcasts
from all over the globe for second language learning activities. Mr. Cadden
at that time was of the opinion that if there was enough interest across
North America, PanAmSat could put together a comprehensive package of L2
programs on one transponder.  This would require input from a large enough
group of subscribers to make it worthwhile for PanAmSat.  PanAmSat would
have to have input as to what language programs would be required and a
commitment from the academic community to make up a comprehensive package
that would suit the needs of the academic community. It is quite possible
that programs could be made available that would better suit the needs of
the educators.  It would require a coordinated effort from a number of
interested university and perhaps high schools.  PanAmSat website is
www.panamsat.com

At 02:40 PM 6/2/2003 EDT, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:33:46 -0400
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: #7164 Satellite services
>
>------------------
>Michael Jones asked:
>
>>Essentially we'd have an LRC custom cable system where a student
>>could sit down at a station in the lab, go to the proper channel and
>>see RAI while someone at a different station is viewing something
>>completely different.
>

>We have set up something like this with the Campus Cable system, which has
>points of presence in many of the academic buildings (unfortunately few
>actual drops in offices and classrooms). You can in princiole access 7
>different channels on 7 TVs at the same time, though in fact what we do is
>tape the different channels every day. We get DishNetwork, and besides the
>basic dish and subscription costs the cable guys are saying it's about $500
>to add each new channel. The downside is--no German, and there aren't
>authentic commercials etc. that you would get if it was direct from the
>country. The good thing--most of the channels have online program guides
>etc. so the instructors can plan to tape/watch  a particular program. They
>seem to be set up like an American network in some ways--kids' shows in the
>morning, adult fare in the evenings.
>
>Judy Shoaf
>University of Florida

Lee Ramsdell