LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 08:05:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

> >Judy, are you setting your files up as streaming audio or are files
> >going as MP3 files? If they are being streamed are you using WMA and
> >WAX files or Quicktime?
>
>Ralph Schultz

I have always happened to have a Real Media server available so we use Real
Media. I have been fairly satisfied with this but there are discussions now
of going to a different format (partly because Real seems to be junking up
its players an awful lot).

>We had the experience that all the publishers we use require special
>permission to put their audio on line, and they request that it is on a
>secure site (i.e. something like BlackBoard  that only registered students
>can access) and that the audio can not be downloaded or copied.
>
>Most publishers  gave the permission without additional charge, but one of
>the Chinese publishers required an additional fee for making the audio
>available on line. --Wolfgang Adolph

Yes, of course we got explicit permission, except from the famous Chinese
publishers (Chinese students still have to come to the lab and listen to
cassette tapes).

Since Realaudio is relatively hard to "rip" it is relatively secure. I
tried having a WebCT site at one point but it was too complex, though now
it might be possible since the registrar's records are tied in to the WebCt
passwords. Instead, at any rate, we have password protection of a rather
simple kind (one password per folder, given out by the instructors).
However, the biggest group of students is the elementary Spanish using
Puntos de Partida, and McGraw-HIll has a semi-offical site for that at
Roanoke College (also realmedia) with no passowrd protection.

Note that the audio is not useful without a lab manual, which the students
must purchase from the publishers and destroy by using, so it is a
"renewable resource" of funds for the publishers. It is not surprising that
they see the advantage of having someone else handle,  on a more localized
and tailored basis, the audio distribution.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida