LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 08:05:57 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:02:31 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Satellite services

Hi Folks,

I hope everyone's semester is slowly winding down and you're
beginning to contemplate summer projects.  I have a question I was
hoping someone could give me some advice on relating to one of my
summer projects at Swarthmore.  We're planning an upgrade of our
Satellite system to expand the services we're able to offer in the
LRC.  We had been receiving various programs off a steerable dish,
with the capability of receiving, recording, or distributing into the
LRC any one program to which the receiver was tuned.  What I would
like to do instead is add some number of receivers, rf modulators and
whatever other equipment we need, in order to distribute 10, or
possibly 15 channels of foreign programming into the LRC.  We'd
subscribe to let's say TV 5, TV Polonia, German TV, RAI and whatever
else we want and distribute all of it into the lab.

Channel 3 - TV 5
Channel 4 - RAI
Channel 5 - German TV
etc.

Essentially we'd have an LRC custom cable system where a student
could sit down at a station in the lab, go to the proper channel and
see RAI while someone at a different station is viewing something
completely different.

Is anyone doing something like this already?  What equipment are you
using, or would you need in order to achieve something like this?

Clearly you'd need a satellite dish for every satellite from which
programming is coming.  Do you then need a dedicated receiver and rf
modulator for each channel you're passing into the LRC, or is there
one piece of equipment that will tune and modulate multiple channels?
This is outside of my area of expertise, so I apologize if I've got
some concepts wrong, or butchered vocabulary.  Thanks for any help!

                                - Mike

Michael Jones
Director,
Language Resource Center