LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 13:15:34 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Wolfgang Adolph <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:26:41 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Wolfgang Adolph <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7156.4 permission to make audio CDs (!)

------------------
Did you have to get permission to "put the audio online"?

We had the experience that all the publishers we use require special
permission to put their audio on line, and they request that it is on a
secure site (i.e. something like BlackBoard  that only registered students
can access) and that the audio can not be downloaded or copied.

Most publishers  gave the permission without additional charge, but one of
the Chinese publishers required an additional fee for making the audio
available on line.

Wolfgang

At 14:05 20-05-03 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:41:17 -0400
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information
> Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
> >From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Re: #7156 permission to make audio CDs
>
>------------------
>
> >I am wondering if anyone has ever asked for permission from publishers
> >to make audio CD copies for students. We have been making cassette
> >copies for students upon request. Audio CDs would be an extension of
> >this,...
>
>Not exactly, since an audiotape can be erased and re-used but a CD is
>(probably) forever. I guess you could do it by having the students trade in
>the CD for ch. 1 for Ch. 2, and then storing the ch. 1 copies for next
>term. I know lots of places have been burning CDs for a while, though, so
>there will be more informative answers.
>
>For most of the courses what we have done is put the audio online. This is
>of course a special expense (for the server)--which I suppose is why the
>publishing companies are happy to have us do it. We copy the cassettes for
>those who have trouble accessing the online audio and can't spare the time
>to work in the lab.
>
>A couple of the courses here at UF have just ordered the audio CDs with the
>books and the students buy them. This was less practical with
>audiocassettes since they are harder to produce and bulky to bundle. I
>think it has seemed cost-effective to the instructors. For these courses
>the lab is just a backup (sometimes needed though when CDs are lost or late
>in coming at the beginning of the term).
>
>Judy Shoaf
>University of Florida

Wolfgang E. Adolph
Fac. Coord. for Computer Issues
Department of Mod. Lang. & Linguistics - DIF 316
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306
(850) 644-8192/681-0635
(850) 644-0524 fax