LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 14:04:56 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from sorgengd <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:49:36 -0700
>Sender: sorgengd <[log in to unmask]>
>From: sorgengd <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7154 Monitor functions for French

------------------
As the original user of LangLab, I am quite surprised to read about its
"flunking" for Reed.
Several years ago, I was faced with the same problem currrently facing Reed:
the analog
language lab was not going to be either updated or replaced.  Just a few
individual
practice booths with analog cassette recorders were kept .

LangLab has proved a terrific replacement for my Phonetics and Listening
Comprehension Course. My students and I love being through with cassettes
(some use
them in other language classes and will bring up comparisons) --and even more
with
cassettes getting stuck or breaking on test and exam days!  Real time as well
as
asynchronous monitoring (for comments on home practice, quizzes and exams)
have
turned out to be simpler, quicker and more convenient than with the old
cassette system.

Last I checked, three other large multi-sectional courses, mainly from Asian
languages,
have been using the Monitor and Teacher functions at Berkeley.

I'll be presenting my uses of LangLab in one of my sessions at IALLT and would
be
happy to try and answer any questions that might have come up for users or
potential
users  at any time during the Ann Arbor conference. If I can't understand the
particular
parameters of your lab setup, I'll refer you to LangLab's techsupport .
Please feel free to
email me off list as well.  If I can help, I gladly will.

Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt
Senior Lecturer in French
French Department #2580
Berkeley CA 94720-2580