LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 14:16:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:42:07 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #7142.3 Tracking software

somehow this 'tracking software' topic
metamorphosed into 'naming opportunities
for student staff'...

---

We let seniors on staff pick anything at the lab
to name in their honor. This year's crop picked
   the new paper cutter
   the lounge
   and one TBA item
The fourth graduate is on the full-time staff,
and says he won't pick anything until he
actually leaves. Whew! I'll be watching!

We took the four seniors out to dinner last night,
another tradition in place for many years here
(staff who graduate while working at the language
center get dinner on us, at their collective choice
of eateries). We give them each a specially selected
book, and swap memories of the past four years of
work, and funny stories about the staff, the lab,
and some of our frequent flyers. They get to tell
us all about their first impressions, also the
misadventures we probably wouldn't have wanted
to know about at the time of occurrence, and
what they would change about work if they could.
It is typically an illuminating event, enjoyed
by all.

Bruce Parkhurst
Boston University