LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 17:47:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Keola Donaghy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:43:06 -1000
>From: Keola Donaghy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7148.5 iTunes 4 (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Yes, it's still easy to get at, whether you wish to call it
pseudo-streaming or streaming is up to you. Files streamed by Real servers
or QTSS are not much more difficult to get at either, and there is always
digital capture. My only desire was for iTunes and other apps to think it
was streaming and respond appropriately. It wasn't for security purposes,
it was for convenience. A similar script works for RA, but has the added
ability to change any of the meta fields (name, artist, copyright) as well
as being able to start a file from anywhere within the file, not just at
the beginning of it.

Keola

Penei ka OEölelo a Language Learning and Technology International
Information Forum              <[log in to unmask]>:
>yes, that's what Apple, Inc. (mistakenly) calls streaming as well. But,
>If I understand this correctly, it is only pseudo- streaming and you can
>still get at the file easily, if you want to. Real streaming requires a
>server, and real streaming files are fairly difficult to download.
>(Another group here at Dartmouth tested your approach and their hacker
>students were able to download to their machines in no time....)
>
> We were particularly interested in using this approach for copyright
>enforcement, but gave up on it. It's either .mov files or MP4 files.

Keola Donaghy
Hawaiian Language Curriculum and Technology Coordinator
Native Hawaiian Serving Institution Program
University of Hawai'i at Hilo

[log in to unmask]        http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~nhsi
Kualono                           http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/