LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 14:16:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:43:33 -1000
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Printer Controller Software
>To: [log in to unmask]

We have been having problems with wasted paper from print jobs in our
computer labs.  Much of the wasted or discarded paper comes from the
printing of webpages.  Webpages also use more of the toner so our toner
cartridges have to be replaced sooner than expected, which is another added
expense.  We have decided to permit only the printing of Word and Excel
documents and to limit a single print job to 10 pages.  We are currently
using a trial version of a printer controller software as a stopgap measure
until the end of the semester.  The purchase price of the software is over
$500 and the software has many features that we really don't need.  Do any
of you know of any printer controller software that is simpler and cheaper?
We are looking for software that will allow us to block the printing of
webpages and pdf files and that would allow us to set a limit on the number
of pages that can be printed at one time.

Thank you.

Daniel Tom
Language Learning Center
University of Hawaii