LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 17:47:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:09:06 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re:  #7150 bar code scanning wands

David,

Since 1989 we have been using InPath Devices <inpath.com>
for our barcode hardware needs. They are in Palo Alto, CA.
They are fast, reliable, and have a wide array of models.

Until a few years ago we used the simple wand: relatively
inexpensive but not indestructible. We went through them
one every five years, on average. I believe they cost
about $75 apiece.

We finally caved and bought a trigger/gun model with a
stand. It works flawlessly. We paid $395, not incl. shipping.

We also have a stripe reader to scan ID cards. We have
only replaced it once. The first one lasted a little
over ten years, which represents something like 100,000
checkouts. The replacement, bought one year ago, cost $325.

We are Mac platform. The scanner hardware is USB.
InPath has hardware for both Mac and PC platforms.

A note on the barcodes themselves:
If you have high volume, I strongly suggest that you
buy vinyl barcodes with permanent adhesive. They are
stronger, hold up longer. They cost about $25 per
thousand (some years back, but custom printed with
our language center's name), and are worth it if
you get heavy use. I buy 'em in lots of 10,000
every 7-8 years.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Parkhurst
Geddes Language Center