LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 13:15:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 15:09:09 -0400
>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tracking software
>Originator-Info: login-id=psawhill; server=mail.oberlin.edu

I agree 100% with Read's comments about a good tracking system being good
"ammunition" in these times of budget cuts and space disputes.  The need
for documentation of what we do and whom we help is critical to the
survival of the language lab.

Along the lines of tracking software: can anyone suggest a tool to help
keep track of the equipment and to make sure we do not double book items?
Currently we use our scheduling software (Meeting maker) for reserving
equipment, and we have gone the extra step of naming all of the pieces of
equipment after graduated lab assistants so as not to have confusion, but
what we need is something built in to the scheduling software  that would
tell us say, you only have three VCRS left or there are no more tripods
available for checkout...  Does such a thing exist?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Barbara Sawhill
Director
Cooper International Learning Center (The Language Lab)
Oberlin College

phone: 440-775-8595   fax: 440-775-6888

The Language Lab website: http://www.oberlin.edu/ilc

"The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what
you're doing, someone else does."