LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:43:57 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bradley Gano <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:26:44 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Bradley Gano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Two Positions at the Yale Center for Language Study

------------------
Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I'm writing to let you know we will be conducting two searches at the Yale CLS.

FIRST--

The first position, which was posted today, is tentatively titled Assistant
Director for Program Development. Working closely with Nina Garrett and me,
this person will be responsible for planning and implementing a variety of
new programs and special projects related to language study, assessment,
program evaluation, advising, and professional development of language
instructors. Examples of projects on the horizon include web-based
placement testing and development of specialized language courses for
professional school students (e.g. med and law students).

It has become clear that we are on the cusp of an exciting examination the
role of multimedia materials development as it pertains to curriculum and
published pedagogical materials. (I.e., what constitutes a textbook
nowadays, in what ways can institutions collaborate on major courseware
development projects, etc.) These will be key issues associated with this
exciting new position. This would likely be an excellent opportunity for
members of the language teaching and CALL fields, particularly those who
have experience as language faculty and/or directors of language resource
centers. If you've been dreaming of great ideas in teacher training or
facilitating projects in SLA or CALL research, this is worth a look.

The position reports to me, so please feel free to contact me directly if
you have any questions. To read the actual posting (which contains the list
of essential duties), or for information on how to apply, go to:
http://www.yale.edu/hronline/placement/
(you can find the posting by searching the Managerial and Professional for
the requisition number CDCN19670).

Also, feel free to cc me on any application materials; Human Resources
forwards them to me, but copying me directly on what gets sent to them is a
little faster.

SECOND--

We'll soon be announcing a vacancy in the position of Technology Services
Coordinator. Matt Croasmun, who is currently in this position, will be
attending Yale Divinity School this fall, so he'll be leaving us near the
end of the summer. The Technology Services Coordinator oversees a variety
of service and support initiatives, including supporting FL teachers with
smart classrooms, computer labs, computer-based testing, and digital video
editing. This person is also involved with scheduling multimedia facilities
at the CLS, fulfilling media-related service requests, and maintaining a
pool of small equipment (laptops, cameras, etc.) for loans to faculty.

This position has not yet been posted, but I expect it to be in the next
few weeks; I'll send another message to the list when it's up.

In the meantime, feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

best,

Brad Gano

Bradley Gano
Associate Director