LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:43:41 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Emmanuel Wilson <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 07:37:43 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Emmanuel Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7144 German Satellite Programming

------------------
Here at the University of Cincinnati we recently had a meeting with a
representative of GERMAN TV. Apparently, due to licensing and other
German governmental restrictions, German programming (besides
Deutsche Welle) simply was not made available to anyone in North
or South America. It is not the fault of Dish Network nor of any cable
company. Now that the GERMAN TV project is underway, and copyright
licenses are being renegotiated, some German programming is
available, but it is not yet available to other satellite broadcasters.
It can be made available to cable companies through negotiation.
While the representative did not say so directly, in some future
circumstance, GERMAN TV might be available to Dish Network.
Currently, a wholly separate GERMAN TV satellite dish is necessary
unless a local cable company has negotiated the addition of GERMAN
TV to its channel lineup.

Emmanuel Wilson
Coordinator, A&S Language Laboratory
728 Old Chemistry Bldg.