LLTI Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 12:59:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:45:52 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7142 Tracking software
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Barbara,

Our IT Department has chosen WebCheckout to book and check out all
classroom equipment.  The LLRC also uses it for videos and other places
on campus use it to book specialty rooms.

WebCheckOut is great.  The student workers absolutely cannot
double-book, patrons can't check out equipment if they have equipment
overdue, and you can assign categories of patrons different privileges.
  For example, undergrads can only book certain assets, grad students
have more privileges, and per course/faculty have all privileges.  If
your campus assesses fines for overdue media or equipment, this
software can track payment. It also automatically generates an email to
the client when equipment is reserved and will generate the usage slip
for them to sign at pick-up.

But all this does not come cheap.  You would probably need to
collaborate with another department (such as IT) to defray the annual
bill and initial server.  But the price has included some terrific
service and the touted ability to tie into PeopleSoft which we will do
this summer. Our Providence Campus is tying it in with a bar code
scanner this summer as well. I've heard other sites use it this way but
we have not yet.

If anyone is interested in learning more about WebCheckOut, there is a
little information on the web at:

http://www.onshored.com

Or I can send you the" how to" guide which is chock full of screen
shots and explains how the system works.  We have really been quite
happy.

Mary Fetherston
Supervisor, Language Learning Resource Center
University of Rhode Island
401-874-4719