MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Ian Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 03:34:26 -0700
At 03:42a -0600 05/24/2003, Chuck Pelto didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>Hi David,
>
>The AppleScripting aspect is related to Home/Office Automation (HA)
>using AS and FMP to coordinate the activities of several computers in a
>LAN/ethernet-airport environment to manage the same. And for nightly
>back-up of data.
>
>The move to OS X has made it much more difficult for small networks to
>share information between computers without the presence of a server. Or
>am I thoroughly mistaken on this point? Did things actually get easier?

Please define "share information" in precise terms; nobody knows what
you mean by it, and thus nobody can answer your questions yet. (IOW,
WTF? ;) )

>I have five machines here. Two are small business activities, one of
>which is the recently procured server, one powerbook, for use on the
>road and one is used for managing the HA, using AS techniques. All
>relate to the server for back-ups using AS techniques, or rather the
>server relates to them; some daily, others less frequently.

Exactly what OS version does each machine run? Numbers, please.

>So the server was procured 3 months ago, with AppleCare. By and large,
>things were working fine with Mac OS X Server 10.2.4. Then 10.2.5 came
>out and suddenly, as with XP, everything s****. Things did not improve
>much, if at all, with 10.2.6. It's buggie as all get out. I can't get
>back-ups to run. Can't get data to be shared.

Can't you reinstall 10.2.4? (instead of cursing the .5/.6 darkness)

>Chuck(le)
>[Looking for the Penguin....]

Last I saw, it was on the TV. Oops, sorry -- it's exploded.

-boo :)
  who really should be sleeping, or studying his lines (got morning rehearsal
  with scene partner and unrelated afternoon meeting with filmmaker...)