MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chuck Pelto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 03:42:33 -0600
Hi David,

The AppleScripting aspect is related to Home/Office Automation (HA)
using AS and FMP to coordinate the activities of several computers in a
LAN/ethernet-airport environment to manage the same. And for nightly
back-up of data.

The move to OS X has made it much more difficult for small networks to
share information between computers without the presence of a server. Or
am I thoroughly mistaken on this point? Did things actually get easier?

I have five machines here. Two are small business activities, one of
which is the recently procured server, one powerbook, for use on the
road and one is used for managing the HA, using AS techniques. All
relate to the server for back-ups using AS techniques, or rather the
server relates to them; some daily, others less frequently.

So the server was procured 3 months ago, with AppleCare. By and large,
things were working fine with Mac OS X Server 10.2.4. Then 10.2.5 came
out and suddenly, as with XP, everything s****. Things did not improve
much, if at all, with 10.2.6. It's buggie as all get out. I can't get
back-ups to run. Can't get data to be shared. Not to mention that dirty
little secret about what happens if you change the TCP/IP Address on the
server. Then, last night, I could not get Server Settings to open up at
all. When I called Apple for help, they told me to pay $200 or figure it
out for myself.

They tell me it's in the details of the agreement. [Note: Isn't it
always the case that the devil is in the details?] But the pratfall here
is that you don't get to see said details until you break the seal on
the disc pack....which the seal says, by breaking the seal you accept
the agreement, neh?

Caveat emptor, compadre. Caveat emptor.

If you're doing AS and you are planning on running a server in the
system, just be aware of this aspect.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[Looking for the Penguin....]