MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 22:53:16 -0400
[log in to unmask] (Chuck Pelto) wrote:

> Server is not meant for 'individual folks'?
>
> Interesting, considering that I operate a household that has to use a
> local area network in order to run.
>
> Apple had better realize that within a few years, at least one-third of
> the household systems will be running over a network.

I probably should know better than respond to this, but I must point out that
'network' is not equal to 'server'. You don't need Mac OS X server to operate a
network. Minimally, all you need is a router. The only reason you need Mac OS X
Server is if you serve stuff, like you have a file/web/mail server that
hundreds/thousands of users need to access over a big LAN, or over a WAN, and
you need sophisticated tools to administer the whole thing. Note that you can
get a lot of mileage for this just with plain Mac OS X anyway.

Steve

--
Steve Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Personal homepage: <http://homepage.mac.com/sroy>