MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Joe Barwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 12:11:25 +1300
On Thu, 22 May 2003, Shane Stanley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 22/5/03 4:08 AM +1000, Mark Lively, [log in to unmask], wrote:

>> It can be done in vanilla applescript.  It won't be fast.
>
>Last time someone tested it, I believe vanilla methods were faster
>than any
>of the scripting additions.

That is largely true [sic].

I keep waiting for someone else to chime in with the so-called
"French vanilla" method... which I don't have readily available here.
<shrug>  Oh well, I imagine Richard Morton won't mind if I post his
handy summary here: <http://www.macadillo.com/ATW/shortdate.html>,
which includes a brief explanation/acknowledgement of its name.

Shane is also correct that vanilla AS can read a file into a variable
in one line.  The problem (for some) is that it requires an open for
access wrapper in order to write to a file, & then a subsequent close
access so the file is not left open (& possibly a try/error wrapper
as well, if there are possible complications such as files not
existing where they should).  Those unaccustomed to such routines
will simply need to update their scripts, whichever alternative
method they end up adopting (vanilla AS/unix/etc.).  May I suggest
they consider creating a standardized handler for all such
tasks--i.e. a "write [script] once, use many" type of thing (excuse
the Pidgin American)?  Then, depending on their set-up, they may bung
it in a library script, or even (heavens below) simply use
copy-&-paste.  BTW, W. Eric Schult: gidday!

Cheers!

aljas "Rjcardo:el:X"

Selected from Ambrose Bierce's "Devil's Dictionary":
ENCOMIAST, n. -- A special (but not particular) kind of liar.