MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bucky Edgett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 18:16:37 -0400
Dear Macintosh,
    Sorry to not post the script. Although, with the great help I just got,
it's been modified. Here's the final version, and so far it works perfectly,
without having to stay open!
    I've pasted it in as nonformatted ASCII and stripped out all the
indenting.

on open location emailURL
set oldDelims to AppleScript's text item delimiters
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "mailto:"
set theAddress to item 2 of the text items of emailURL -- get everything
after the "mailto:"
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelims
tell application "Internet Explorer"
Activate
set theTitle to item 2 of (GetWindowInfo -1) -- gets just the window Title
without the URL; perfect
end tell
tell application "FileMaker Pro"
activate
open alias "blahblah" -- Opens my email database. I didn't think you needed
to know that much about my hard drive setup
do script "New IM from IE" -- a script that creates a New Record in my email
database, and goes to the editing screen where I write email
set data of cell "out Email Address [IM]" of current record to theAddress as
string -- plonks in the email address from the mailto URL; perfect!
set data of cell "out Subject [IM]" of current record to theTitle as string
-- plonks in the window title alone, without the window URL; perfect!
end tell
end open location

   You may want to know that I'm using FMP 6.0v2 on a B&W G3 tower, OS 9.2;
dialup Internet connection. I have the SMTPit and POP3it plugins to perform
email functions. I'm reasonably happy with these plugins. They do screwy
things every now and then; HTML formatted email makes them unhappy sometimes.
I cannot see embedded images in my mail. But...
    It allows me to keep an indepth, extensive "address book" in FMP and
eliminates having to duplicate any of its functions or information. I use
this same suite of databases for postal correspondence as well.
    It tracks family relationships: parents, children and "family." Each
record has fields for two people (with elaborate and flexible naming and
addressing methods); addresses each one separately or them both as a couple;
has fields for separate office addresses (with multiple phone, fax, cell,
etc.)  for each; and two home addresses for the couple; lots of different
kinds of notes, etc.
    The suite also has distribution list capabilities that allow mass postal
and emailing with individually personalised addressing on each piece of
correspondence, to either person or them both as a couple. Cool, huh?
    The email functions are, of course, POP based. I'd very much like to have
an IMAP base, but don't find plugins for that. I can send and receive
attachments very well; archive emails and do pretty much everything I was
doing in Eudora Pro. My suite allows for multiple "personalities," each with
multiple signatures, etc.
    The one thing I haven't yet tackled is filters or "rules." I'm sure I
could do this if it seemed worthwhile, but, rules are so difficult to refine
that I just delete the spam by hand. I tried setting filters in Eudora, and
found defining them to be more cumbersome than they were worth. (I
occasionally like to read a spam mail; some of them can be entertaining if
I've had a few beverages.)
    Thanks for all your help in ironing out the wrinkles in my mailto
function. I be happy; very very happy! You folks are the bomb. Or, umm, is
that an inappropriate neologism in this context?
Yours truly,
Bucky Edgett