MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Ian Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 23:48:45 -0700
At 10:22p -0500 05/17/2003, Eric Schult didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>I'm just accustoming myself to scripting in Jaguar. A lot of my OS 9.x
>scripts employ Tanaka's OSAX to readfromfile and writetofile, etc. I
>don't think Tanaka's has been ported to OS X.

That's correct, because it was written in HyperCard and only gets
compiled for MacOS.

>Is there an equivalent OSAX I can use, or is the open for access
>command in Standard Additions my best alternative? I always thought
>the syntax for open for access was kind of icky, but I guess I can
>get used to it if I have to.

I usually used Tanaka's osax for MT Replace, but Extra Suites has a
replace command (not case sensitive, though -- gotta see if he'll add
that).

What exactly did you use the read/write commands for? maybe we can
help you duplicate the functionality...

-boo