MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 09:26:49 -0400
On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 09:10  AM, John Delacour wrote:

> No it shouldn't.  'choose file' returns an alias and 'file alias "x"'
> is bound to return an error.

Finder is usually clever enough to do that coercion but I have even
typed in item "a" of folder "b" of disk "c"

> 'label index' is a property of 'item'
>
> So this is the syntax you'd need, but not the label index is not
> listed as a porperty.

no and I get an error when I just try to get it.

>>    OSX keeps track of the information.
>
> ??

The information is stored.  you can set label information on an OS X
served volume from an OS 9 machine.

> Unless I'm much mistaken 'label index' is not implemented, in spite
> of the lying dictionary.  You can neither get it not set it.

dang it.  Neither Carbon nor Cocoa want to do it either.

-Mark
The sheep lie!!!