MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 09:51:59 -0400
Hi everyone,

I just discovered something sneaky about placing 1 bit TIFFs in QuarkXPress.
When you place one via script, using

tell application "QuarkXPress"
    tell document 1
        make picture box at beginning with properties {bounds:{"0\"", "0\"",
"2\"", "2\""}}
        set image 1 of picture box 1 to file "disk:foo:bar:image.tif"
    end tell
end tell

then the 'image type' property of the image is 'gray scale image'. However if
you create a picture box manually and Get Picture the same image, then its
'image type' is 'line art'. I want the script to do the same thing as the Get
Picture method, but how?

Searching through Quark's knowledge base, I found out that one can force Get
Picture to import as gray scale instead of line art by pressing the Option key
when dismissing the dialog. This makes the Get Picture method match the script
method, but what I want is the other way around, to make the script method match
the Get Picture method.

The 'image type' property is read-only so there's no hope there.

In any case, that sounds like a bug in QuarkXPress, but I'd like to see if
there's a way to force the image type to be line art from a script. Any ideas
anyone?

Steve

--
Steve Roy <[log in to unmask]>