MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bruce Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 21:35:28 -0700
>> IF done *within* FileMaker in a perform applescript step:
>>
>> Delete every request
>> Set NR to (Create new request)
>> Copy "Seattle" to cell "City" of NR
>> Find
>>
>> Leaves you in Find Mode.
>

> Perform Find --> performs find request
>
> This is typically followed with a quick check on the FoundCount, to
> go directly to the info screen or to the list layout, or if no found
> records to test for common situations via status(currentErrorNumber)
> and respond accordingly, ie, no records found in "overdue payments"
> is good, award elephant stamp.

There is no applescript "perform find" function.

The application I have in mind, and which I thought the original person had
in mind, is the arbitrary scripting of finds in other files. This can be
FULLY scripted from FaceSpan, an applescript application, whatever. The
applescript can then look at the found count and do whatever it needs to do.

If you try to do this within FileMaker, it doesn't work. The front end file
can create the requests in the data file. But it can't execute them unless
the other file has standard FileMaker scripts that perform a find.

As an example, consider trying to create a report generator that can target
any open FileMaker file. The report generator would store criteria, run
finds, extract and summarize data, etc. Ideally, this report generator is
universal; it does not require modifications to data files it is querying.

That's why I've had to create helper applications. The Filemaker report
generator file must pass an instruction to the helper application. Yoohoo
Mr. HelperApp! tell document "Contacts.fp5" to find, then tell ME to
continue running my script.