MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Malcolm Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:21:30 +1000
>I'm resigned to the not-very-pretty workaround of using request/find
>commands in the place of "every record whose". I've seen the other
>recommended solutions, including some promising stuff in AS Studio from
>Christopher Green, but I'm still too mired in FaceSpan 3.5 to attempt the
>jump to AS Studio.

I'm guessing that you've seen so AS Studio apps that "help" FMP and
that you are using FaceSpan to do similar stuff? Have you thought of
using FMP itself as the helper application? I design helper databases
that are used to act as interfaces for the databases. They don't
store data - they simply act as an aid to users, eg., a dialog
box/gui/widget. You can pass info into global fields in the widget
which store the information needed for the job at hand. FMP has good
support for AppleScript so you can get the widget to do all sorts of
stuff - just like FaceSpan or ASStudio. The widget database can have
relationships to the "proper" databases, so you're "every record
whose" problem is a lightning fast "Show Related Record". Very handy
for complex data entry situations, they can act just like a pop-up
window.

Malcolm Fitzgerald                        [log in to unmask]
Database Manager                          http://www.asauthors.org
The Australian Society of Authors         ph: 02 93180877 fax: 02 93180530