MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
David Livesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 23:49:37 -0400
On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 08:11  PM, Chip Griffin wrote:

> On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 11:50 US/Eastern, David Livesay wrote:
>
>> Graphic Convertor can do that for you.
>>
>> tell application "GraphicConverter"
>>        open {alias "Drive:folder:blah.jpg"}
>>        set comment of window 1 to "Blah"
>>        save window 1
>>        close window 1
>> end tell
>
> There is no way to have the Finder do that for you?

The Finder can't insert comments into the jpeg file the way GC can. The
Finder just adds comments to the "Get Info" box. These coments are only
available to other Macs, and they aren't even available to OS 9 (both
have Finder comments, but they're not compatible), and they disappear
when the files are transferred to file systems that don't support
resource forks. The kind of comments the guy who asked the initial
question wanted (I assumed) become part of the jpeg file and can be
read by image browsers on multiple platforms.
--
Dave
====