MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
David Livesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 11:08:03 -0400
On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 05:42  AM, Chuck Pelto wrote:

> The move to OS X has made it much more difficult for small networks to
> share information between computers without the presence of a server.
> Or
> am I thoroughly mistaken on this point? Did things actually get easier?

Speaking strictly for myself it has made life a lot easier. For
starters I no longer have to tell the Windows idiots who like to give
their files names like "Chrysler Motors Online Learning Proposal -
second draft.doc" to pleeeeease limit themselves to 31 characters. Lots
of other things are easier; lots of things work that never worked
before. I'd never go back to the bad old days.

> So the server was procured 3 months ago, with AppleCare. By and large,
> things were working fine with Mac OS X Server 10.2.4. Then 10.2.5 came
> out and suddenly, as with XP, everything s****. Things did not improve
> much, if at all, with 10.2.6. It's buggie as all get out. I can't get
> back-ups to run. Can't get data to be shared. Not to mention that dirty
> little secret about what happens if you change the TCP/IP Address on
> the
> server. Then, last night, I could not get Server Settings to open up at
> all. When I called Apple for help, they told me to pay $200 or figure
> it
> out for myself.

You could also try one of the many forums and mailing lists that Apple
supports at no charge. I rather suspect that you were upset and needed
someone to vent to--why else would you have posted your rant to this
mailing list?--and that's not what Apple pays its support people for. I
am somewhat surprised that I have not heard anything about this on
Macintouch. You must be the only person who is having these problems.
Are you sure you're not trying to run unsupported software on OS X
Server that might be interfering with its operation?

> If you're doing AS and you are planning on running a server in the
> system, just be aware of this aspect.
>
> Chuck(le)
> [Looking for the Penguin....]

I hope you're not expecting your AppleScripts to run better on Linux.
--
Dave
====