LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:49:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:45:49 -0700
>Subject: Re: #7135 lab attendance tracking
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum <[log in to unmask]>

This message  was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to  the LLTI
list at  LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply  forward it  back to  the list,
using  a mail  command that  generates "Resent-"  fields (ask  your local  user
support or consult the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will
be  distributed and  the  explanations  you are  now  reading  will be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (27 lines) ------------------
> We are looking for a good way to track attendance in our 30-station
> networked lab.  Student use is approximately 840 use hours per week
> because of a 2-hour per week lab requirement for students in all of
> our 111, 115, 122 and 222 language classes.  This is a Mac lab
> running OS9, but as soon as I can convince people to dump some old
> software, we will move to OSX.  Our university will have a 9.2% cut
> in budget next year, so we will need to find something very cheap.
>
> TBob

Apple Network Administrator Toolkit (ANAT) is an OS9 tool, but with OS X, at
quick glance, it appears that Server Status (an OS X server tool free with
the server; can be run on server and a client) is the closest Apple tool,
which if true, is a pity comparing it to ANAT.  It has a Logs tab, then you
can select AppleFile, and Access Log to get login and logout time per user,
plus activity.  The log should be readable into your favorite
database/spreadsheet, where you could roll your own stats.  (I was thinking
Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) might have been a solution, but I don't think it
does lab-type stats.)  Also check: http://www.macosxlabs.org (create an
account to get in); they might have some discussion there.  Or if you have a
Win2K server, and are able to tie in your OS X lab to it, there would be
some ways to get access data.  A good and very relevant question you ask.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington