LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:41:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:33:44 -0400
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7136.2 portugese materials 9!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
As a PortugUese prof. (at times) who has no time to
teach the language, I recommend that students use
the textbook Travessia and accompanying videotapes
from Georgetown Univ. Press.  Tapes are very dated now
(a group of visiting Brazilian profs. I showed a bit of the
tapes to chortled when seeing them.  One younger guy
said the Jorge Ben singing performance was done before
he was born!).  However, for students who already have
a good knowledge of Spanish this works up to a point.

I have reviewed the Portuguese Transparent Language
series (not the latest edition however) for the CALICO
Review (http://www.calico.org).  It can be used for certain
learners and learning styles.

Generally, I spend about an hour or two with students
wishing to learn Portuguese in independent study giving
them the basics of the language and illustrating differences
from Spanish.  Then, they are on their own with these
materials.

Best to all, Mike Ledgerwood

Director of the Language Learning and Research Center
Head of French